Thursday 10 November 2016

Victorian Border: A Lap of Self Discovery (part 3)

“Bullshit!”, I mumbled to myself.  It seriously couldn’t be as cold as the thermometer on the wall was telling me.  The sun was already up and it was four degrees below zero (Celsius).  This was crazy.  Sliding out of bed I wondered if the New South Wales high plains were always this cold in the middle of spring. 

I dreaded riding in the cold but knew I had to do it if I was to make the coast in time to watch the latest instalment of the Formula One World Championship.  Fully layered, I packed the bike and took one last look at the thermometer, the temperature hadn’t risen, a fact confirmed by the GS’s warning lights indicating there could be ice on the roads.  Nice!
 
Heading off down the Monaro Highway, at an average altitude of around 750 metres, pretty high by Australian standards, I couldn’t help but admire the beautiful country.  I’d ridden this road a few times before, never taking time to notice the landscape.  Mental note!  Slow down, enjoy the journey.
 
Thick bushland soon began to line the roadside, I was riding through a plantation of hardwood forest, Eucalypts of some sort.  I was taken at how quickly the landscape changes in Australia, I was thankful that my determined route would take me through this land.  It was a Sunday morning; I was the only person around.  A perfect day.
 
Dropping in altitude, the landscape changed again, still hardwood forest only now old growth.  The size of some of the trees was truly impressive.  I realised that this was still logging country, the many humorous billboards telling the truck drivers to slow down, return home to their families were a dead give away.  The quality of the wide dirt road also had something to do with it.  Riding this area was a pure delight.  The only company I had were the occasional kangaroo or wallaby.  Most kept their distance, every now and then one would come closer.  I’d slow, enjoying the scene.
 
Sweeping around a bend, and dropping down a short hill, it hit me.  Full force!  Large enough to have been seen a distance back.  I slammed on the brakes, sliding the bike to a halt.  Breathlessly I climbed from my machine.  Hardly able to contain myself I walked back to the sign.  It was real, I hadn’t imagined it.  I burst out laughing again.  “Wog Way!”  What the hell?

The large wooden road sign did indeed read “Wog Way”.  How could this be allowed, I laughed.  Wog, a racist term for people of southern Europe.  I continued laughing, knowing exactly what my close Italian friends would think of this sign.  They would laugh too, Wog had become a term of endearment amongst us, just like Pom to the English … or ‘Captain Risky’, as seemed to be my new name after a couple of large accidents and my determination to not let them stop me from exploring the world by bike.  I laughed again, wondering if this was an acronym for something, it was obviously marking another track that joined from the left.
 
Continuing in roughly a south easterly direction on this great piece of road, more or less following the border with Victoria, eventually I would reach the A1, the Princes Highway, the road that follows the coast for most of the way around Australia.  I would turn right and be back in my home state, before that I knew I could turn off the main road and find some tracks that would lead me to my first stop for the day.

Giant gum trees grew either side of the track as I ventured into the heavily wooded land.  This track was less used but still in reasonable condition.  I smiled to myself.  This day was so far treating me well. 
 
Riding for a few kilometres through twists and turns I found that I had lost my sense of direction.  It didn’t matter, I reckoned that if I kept following this track I would eventually come out somewhere.  A fork soon presented itself, offering the choice of two paths to take, without a second thought I went down the track to the right, after all this would take me more to the west, the direction I needed to head.  The track soon narrowed as it twisted further into the dense bush.  The place felt darker, not only had the light diminished but I had a strange sense that someone, or thing, was watching me.  Maybe my hunger was just playing tricks on me, I was yet to have something to eat, and without breakfast I really struggle.  The track soon reached another fork.  The route to the left seemed to be in extremely poor condition, unused.  I went right and was soon upon an imposing homemade sign. 
 
“DO NOT ENTER!  THIS ROAD LEADS NOWHERE! PRIVATE PROPERTY – KEEP OUT”. 
 
“Shit!”, I thought.  “Could this sign be any more explicit?”
 
Had I stumbled into something I shouldn’t have?  Was I about to find myself in trouble?  I could hear voices; yet couldn’t determine from which direction they came.  Panicking I turned the bike around and rode away.  My underfed, overactive imagination was now running hyperactively, what the hell was this place?  I returned to where I had come from and was quickly back on the main road and headed towards the seaside town of Mallacoota. 
 
Attracted to a sign reading Lucy’s Homemade Ride Noodle House, I venture in for breakfast and was surprised to find one of the best morning meals I have ever had.  I gazed dreamily out of the window, wondering what I had just encountered out in the bush, internally I laughed at myself.  Idiot!  Through the window I noticed a small man looking very closely at my bike and gear.  He pulled out a camera and began taking varied photos of the bike and the many decals adorning my paniers.  Eating breakfast I kept a casual eye on the bike, I didn’t want to disturb this great meal.
 
Looking around, as if trying to find something, the man walked to the café and entered the main door, handed a coffee by the young man serving.  I watched on curiously.  He turned, and smiled in my direction, I returned the gesture.
 
“By the look of your dirty riding gear, that’s your GS,” he proclaimed.  I nodded.
 
“May I?”, he gestured to the seat at my table.  I nodded.
 
“I don’t mean to interrupt your meal,” the man announced.  I couldn’t pick his strong Germanic accent.  “You see, I have a hobby.  I collect motorbikes, and yours is one of the best I’ve seen around here for a while.  It’s a real traveller.”
 
I must’ve look confused.  He went on to explain he doesn’t collect the physical bikes, just photos of them and the accompanying tale.  They are added to a blog.  Interesting!  I couldn’t help be flattered, he must see a lot of good bikes down here at the end of such a great road.  We introduced ourselves and spoke about travelling, about bikes, about life in general.  My breakfast had suddenly become much better. 
 
Recounting my strange recent encounter to Gerard, he laughed and explained he had never seen that sign, but had witnessed a few odd things out there.  Nothing bad, just odd.  We laughed.  Gerard told me of a few tracks I could possibly take to head further west however, warned that some could be closed due to recent weather.  He warned not to take them if they are closed, they can be quite treacherous.
 
Chatting, an hour or so passed quite quickly, I had to keep moving.  We shook hands and parted company as friends.  Chance encounters like these were what travel by motorcycle was all about.  I left Mallacoota more enriched.
 
Following the road along the coast I came across a 4wd track.  Narrow, sandy and remote, yet not inaccessible.  It was a glorious ride through thick bushland.  Winding its way in a roughly south westerly direction I knew this would take longer but was the whole point of my circumnavigation of my home state, to explore unknown paths and challenge my very being.  My injuries and self-doubts were so far from the front of my mind that they seemed to be forgotten.
 
Above the comforting drone of the GS’s engine a loud pop broke through the silence of the bush.  “What the hell was that?” I thought.
 
I pulled off the track, wondering if the strange noise had been from my bike.  Enjoying the silent stillness of the bush, I could see no indication to what had caused the noise.
 
POP! POP! Two shots echoed through the trees.  Bloody hell! Someone was shooting.  Had I strayed into a ‘game’ area?  I got back on the bike and rode on as quick as I could, mindful that I could be mistaken for an animal or be the victim of stray bullets.  The track wound its way further into the bush and after a few kilometres I thought it safe to stop.
 
The silence was again blissful.  I stood enjoying it when a fallen branch snapped behind me.  I turned just as a pop rang out and the sound of air being split whooshed past my head.  “FUCK!” I yelped loud enough to startle something into running.  I’m sure it was a biped, the hunter.
 
I stood in silence, to the point of panicking.  Was that a mistaken shot? Or had someone deliberately taken aim at me?  I didn’t want to find out.  I was back on the bike and headed back the way I had come, the whole time wondering why the hell people feel the need to shoot animals.  Perhaps my experience had just given me some insight into the mindset of these people.
 
On the main road, my nerves began to calm a little.  Bugger the dirt for now, I headed straight for the highway, the tracks that follow the coast would have to wait for now, I’d be back.  In a daze, I was determined to get to Cann River, it couldn’t come soon enough.  I needed to take stock of what had just happened.  Hindsight says I probably should’ve reported it to the authorities.
 
Lunch was light and refreshing yet I couldn’t get the sound of ‘whoosh’ out of my mind.  Was it a bullet that had come so close that I could hear it?  Perhaps my imagination had been running berserk again.  The circumstances seemed to be too much of a coincidence.  Back on the bike I followed the coast as much as possible, sticking to bitumen.  I was soon in Lakes Entrance.  Settling into a motel that had pay television I began to watch the Malaysian Formula One Grand Prix, I’m glad I decided to do this, Daniel Ricciardo took his Red Bull to victory.  I didn’t celebrate, I fell asleep before the sun had even slipped below the horizon …

1 comment: