Thursday 2 October 2014

Long Ride 2014 - Day 4 - Charleville Hospital

Charleville Hospital, Charleville, QLD
Distance - 50 metres (or so) (1615km)
Weather - Sunny 35 degrees (I believe)

There's not a lot to report for day 4 of my Long Ride 2014, it was spent pretty much on my back in the Charleville hospital, and while everyone else got to work organising things I got to know some of the locals and it seems I became a bit of a legend - in fact the crash might've been good for the coverage of the Long Ride.

Almost everyone who came in to the ward was told about what we were doing.  Ken, one of my ward mates was keen to tell everyone of our exploits.  The old boy was pretty crook, and had convinced himself he was dying.  He spent the whole time plotting his escape from hospital and trying to convince me that Victoria Bitter is the world's best beer.

The only travelling I did this day was to the toilet and back, so nothing really exciting to talk about.

After well wishes from most of the Long Ride group they set off for Longreach and for the most part they didn't let me know what was going on, I guess they knew how gutted I was and didn't want to rub it in. 

The support from everyone has been fantastic, too many people to name, but you know who you are and I love you all for that.

The day ended with the news that I wouldn't need an immediate operation despite thew break being quite bad.  The head doctor was a bike rider himself and says he sees a lot of these injuries around here, so is somewhat of an expert.  He also fully understood that I wanted to get back on the 'ride' as quick as I could.  The physio came and fitted me a brace that looks like it's designed more for walking dogs - I can hear the words 'bring on the gimp', JP, not a word!

The brace causes considerable pain but the physio said that's normal and besides, the pain is relieved by some of the best drugs you could imagine - to the point of making me dream of dancing with piglets in a field of flowers - great stuff.


1 comment:

  1. Victoria Bitter IS the world's best beer. I can't agree with him more.

    ReplyDelete